William

William - Claire Cray It's such a good luck I read the first book this year because that way I didn't have to wait for this part to be released.

This installment is not as emotional as the first one was. For starters, the is as short as the first part, with the difference that a high percentage of it was not focused on the actual story. This doesn't need to be necessarily a bad thing, but when the introduction takes so much space, and then Merrick's past and the conflict with Theo turn out to be the centre of it all, in the end there is little to say about William's new experiences as a vampire beginner. Which is a pity, as those scenes are really appealing to read.

I like that these vampires are closer to Anne Rice version than to the Twilight one. They face immortality and the doom to become a tortured soul seems more a reality than not. There is a certain moment in which vampires feel a dangerous apathy that is the end of them all and the only treatment is finding a companion and turning him into a vampire. Once they achieve it, life has sense again.

And there is the bonus that you don't fear you are going to dry your lover out out of lust.

At last Merrick relates his past and I must say that, for such a long life, I was a little disappointed. I mean, the author could have made a better use of it. And she should have, because when we finally reach the hostility towards Theo, it let me down. I don't know what I expected, but his behavior doesn't strike me as that reprehensible as for Theo to be pushed away for decades. And do not forget that it's not as if the vampire society is vast and outgoing. I think it was a little exaggerated, above all when we keep in mind these creatures live for centuries, so isolated mistakes and faults take a different dimension in the big scheme of things. I felt there was something missing, actions in the chronological line that were not mentioned. Because otherwise the outcome wouldn't have been that extreme.

However, William's existence as a vampire seems to be very promising. His first anecdotes (AKA hunts) are quite enchanting, if we omit the part in which his human victims die. He experiences such an exhilarating feeling he now sees the quite process under a new light. Now he understands the thirst, the irresistible temptation of yawning or the pull he feels towards a particularly attractive prey. He is not a human anymore, but he can appreciate certain humans. And once more, William has become Merrick's apprentice. And Merrick is as generous and patient as he has ever been. But now they share a connection that transcends every emotion they had felt before.

To sum it up, a recommendable series to read.