A Strong and Sudden Thaw

A Strong and Sudden Thaw - R. W. Day Nearly a century ago the Ice fell upon the Earth. And nothing has been the same ever since.

This is a little based on the premise from the movie The Island or, further back, the Myth of the Cave by Plato. Good rulers who turn out to be not-so-good. Obsolete laws became valid again. Piety revives in times of chaos and desperation. Life is not a searching of happiness anymore, but of mere subsistence. Not a revival of the Stone Age, but a big step back nonetheless. Furthermore, there is a hint of Icebreaker and Reign of Fire in this book. Humanity survives through a perpetual winter, and dragons are stealing the farmers' livestock . There is a government that takes care of things but you there is always the constant suspicion that they do not make too much of an effort to improve people's lives.

I liked the slow-pacing flame. So quiet and desperate to bloom, but no allowed to do so. They are both loyal to each other even though the silence and separation is the rule and not the exception. Sometimes the tension is so strong you just want them gone from the town, together. But it's not easy to survive out there on your own, and it's even more difficult to leave everything you have known behind. Will they be able to find a balance between what they want and what the village demands from them? Beginning with David's family, of course.

It's an "angsty" story but not as extreme as I expected. If you are looking for lust and desire in every page, you won't find it here. This story is drenched with a young-adult and come-to-age feeling. David is 16 years old at the beginning of the book and but he already knows hard work and maturity comes fast when a series of events (the arrival of Callan and its consequences) makes him grow up fast. The laws are harsh. The society does not welcome his needs. He has never felt said needs until the day Callan comes into town and suddenly, he has desires we can't acknowledge publicly. When the dragons are added to the mix, things go out of hand.

I'm a little disappointed, though, because there is no real explanation about the Ice. How did that happen? Why? Who caused it? Natural disaster or human doing? How does the world now, the countries are the same or have the borders changed? If so, what is the situation in the other places? Is there a real isolation from the rest of the world of does the government communicate with other nations by other means? Is the whole Earth frozen or does the Sahara became a green and fertile area?

Questions, questions.

To sum up, I recommend this book, but I can't say it's perfect.