Trailer Trash - Marie Sexton

This was a great book, but strangely enough, I'm not referring to the love story.

The love story is sweet and I enjoyed every bit of it. It's true there is a rich boy/poor boy premise here. And that sounds typical but in truth I honestly don't care how typical or not a book is as long as the author writes it well and builds it into a solid shape. And that's exactly what happened here. It's not that the love story is not beautiful, because it is, it's just that I loved the surroundings much better: the time, the place, the conflicts, the local "society's" unsaid rules. How the people is segregated like in an apartheid, how they can't mix together, what happens if you ever dare to shatter the status quo. Prejudices are so strong, whereas solid principles and sense of humanity are so scarce.

All in all, the display of how a tiny town in the deep America works. How you are born there, how people dream of a better future, and how they get stuck and become hopeless, seeing life pass by whereas they get old in the exact place they had been dreaming about escaping from.

That's the part I liked the most.

I also loved how the 80s are portrayed here. It's not exactly my time, but somehow it holds a romantic aura for me. When I think about the 80s I think about the crazy fashion and cassettes. I think about all the awesome movies that were simple yet effective. I think about music, about Queen and Mecano, I even think about Cat Stevens, even though I know he belongs to the previous decades. I think about landlines and the lack or Internet. Not important events, because I overlook politics, economics and social events, but somehow, the 80s are special to me, even when I haven't lived those years. I could feel the atmosphere here, it's expertly developed. In a subtle way with each casual mention, but the nostalgic feeling never totally faded.

It was a mix of...

...and...

Of course I'm kidding.

There is one issue that upset me here. It happens in the

hospital

(show spoiler)

. For me, it was too much to handle not because it's not real but I think it dramatizes the situation in the era of paranoia about the brand new (un)awareness of the HIV and AIDS even more:

The nurse is going to cure Nate's face after the beating, and she's going to do it barehanded. Then she's called by another nurse, they talk, throwing suspicious glances towards Nate. Then the nurse comes back, looks for some latex gloves that were hidden somewhere (meaning, not close by in case they need them and I guess they need them very often because it's a damn hospital and ER and damn, have you heard about hygiene and germs and infection?) and once she puts them on, she begins working. It's like, really? So when someone is bleeding and you need to cure it, you don't use gloves, but if he's homosexual you do? This makes me shiver, I can only think about this hospital having a higher morbidity/mortality ratio among heterosexual patients than the homosexual one due to this exact reason. They didn't use gloves in the 80s? Seriously? Now I'm really worrying here.

(show spoiler)

I'm aware it was while ago in fact it was only... yesterday!

The resolution of things met my expectations. It gave a believable closure to the story, and a beautiful HEA, one both characters deserved.

***Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***