Magpie - Kim Dare

I enjoyed this immensely.

If you want to know what the book is really about, Cupkita’s review says it all. However, I must say I totally agree withEmma Sea’s review. This was a wasted opportunity.

Yes, I’m aware Duck! is too good to be true but that wasn’t exactly my issue with Magpie. I lowered my expectations as much as possible and I must say it was paid off. I was pleasantly surprised. I could easily dive into Kim Dare’s words effortlessly and into her intoxicating avian world once more. It was pure delight to read about this compulsive thief and shiny things-lover magpie being forced into a D/s relationship with a not-worthy-of-my-time controlled and attractive raven. But little by little, he begins to enjoy the shared time with Everet, coming to a point when he can only think about pleasing his master at all costs.

Some friends say they couldn’t grow fond of Kane but I must say I didn’t have that problem. I loved Kane. His childish wonder at shiny things made me smile and laugh. His doomed nature as a magpie was more endearing than annoying. His hopeless kleptomaniac impulses, his lack of good and bad sense, his bratty snark, his obsessive need of being seductive and appealing until the ultimate consequences.

Their relationship is somehow a Medieval arranged marriage. At first they are clumsy and insecure where they are standing on. But the chemistry is undeniable, and the sex has worth seeing. However, I got the impression it was too rushed. I would have liked to see more of Kane’s evolution, witnessing a more gradual change. From the cheeky mindless slut to the sexy adorable sub. I would have loved to see it in depth.

Instead, I felt we were walking down step by step, each one of them too obvious and noisy. Too noticeable. Too abrupt.

And the book wasn’t entirely realistic. At the beginning of the book, when Everet goes to

save Kane

(show spoiler)

in one dangerous area of the city and taking him in this car… why does he go alone? It would be more sensible to go in a group, like policemen in pairs. It makes no sense to me that only one individual would go so unprotected among threatening humans. Above all when Everet is the Security Chief in the nest. He should have known better.

Then, Kane is a quicksilver junkie, and his withdrawal was so fast and easy I barely had time to register it. Afterwards, the topic is entirely forgotten. It’s mentioned once or twice, but there is no real longing, the issue is pushed aside, as if new chores on sight could erase the old habits at the stroke of a pen.

The “enemies”. The only woman in the story is hilarious. I almost expected her to have a wart on her nose and offer an bright red apple to poor beautiful and trusting Kane. Please. The same goes to Hamilton, he’s the paradigm of what you shouldn’t do as a leader, of what kind of people eventually are erased from the face of Earth to put someone else in his place and nobody would ever complain.

All in all, I honestly adored the book, but it’s far from being perfect in my eyes. Still, I’m looking to reading more books of this series.

*****

PS: The paperback version is bizarre. There the font size is not uniform:
Page 1-40: small size.
Page 41-158: big size.
Page 159-236: small size again, except in page 171 with the two last paragraphs: big size.