A total miss for me

Angel Undone - Leta Blake

Blasphemy that would leave my grandma open-mouthed and open-eyed in horror and my other grandma saying “Eh?”.

Well, it’s not that extreme, by if you are a little sensitive, this book is not for you.

I have read nothing of Neil Gaiman, so I have no way to compare.

This is the first book I’ve read by Leta Blake. I think her style is solid and the acid sense of humor kept me going until the very end.

But, honestly, there is little to be happy about.

The love story is off-off-off. And I’d like to say the fantasy/angelic theme was something innovative and great, but it wasn’t.

See, Michael, the Archangel, is given missions to save people on Earth. His task now is to save 40-year-old Jewish Asher, who has lived all his existence in the closet and is close to make a big mistake that would only push him deeper into his misery. Michael has to make him see light, and well, Asher does see light, in more than one sense.

I’ve heard this blurb before. It’s a well-worn topic.

I don’t know exactly where and when I heard or read it, but Lucifer being a surf boy didn’t sound as something new to my ears. I expected the badass angel to be something of the sort. Not surprised.

God being an asshole who gets amused mandhandling humans at his will was very typical, too.

The Christian part was broadly made fun of, but the Jewish part was a little wasted, in my opinion. Islam is only mentioned with their profet Muhammad. I don’t expect Family Guy or South Park here, but I think those little jokes could have gone further. Maybe the author has more respect towards these religions, maybe she decided the Christian religion was enough, or maybe she just didn’t dare with the other two big monotheisms. Whatever the reason, I was a little let down.

Michael has spent thousands of years in utter submission and obedience towards his Father. But this time, he’s compelled to initiate a rebellion, as his brother Lucifer did a long time ago. The reason is this human with his Father’s imprint on him that calls him like a siren that he simply cannot resist.

I saw no other reason for Michael’s desire to be with Asher. Yes, they have very hot sex scenes together, but their interactions are of the physical sphere rather than really falling in love, and their dialogues were so vague and cryptic I was growing a little frustrated myself, because they are obviously not enough to form a real bond. Insta-love? Probably. Insta-lust? Clearly so.

I couldn’t believe the love story. And much less, I couldn’t believe why Michael decides to give up the divine favor just because of him. I can understand he was tired of serving, or not fulfilling his own needs, of not having his own life. But I can’t understand Asher being the cause and end of all of that.

All in all, I’m really disappointed in this novella. I expected much more, more originality, a more daring scheme of things, and of course, a love story that would make me lose my breath. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met.

*****

***Copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.***